Thursday 15 January 2009

Xmas purchases

Yet again, a while since I posted.
As you can expect Christmas purchases were a big news story, with online sales soaring. That Amazon was accepting orders till just a few days before Christmas, shows that the days of online deliveries not arriving are pretty much over.
However, not all online deals are good buys. A friend of mine was telling me about her great experience with www.buymobilephones.net and her combined purchase of a new phone and Sony Playstation.
In these critical economic times, she wisely saw an opportunity to buy a necessity [a new mobile phone package] and get a Sony Playstation thrown in. As her son’s birthday was a couple of months away, it made sense to do the deal, and keep the gift till said date.
Alas, buymobilephones.net didn’t not agree. When my friend’s son’s birthday came, the much-wanted gift was refusing to work. After a phone call to the company, she was told that they were only liable for 28 days and she should take it up with Sony.
The call – according to my friend – was in the tone of “sorry, you may still be paying for this, but not our problem, bye”.
I’m pleased to say Sony, which I have had many dealings with, showed their customary exemplary customer service. Expressing their disappointment that the gift was faulty and arranging a replacement immediately. My advice? Watch for the small print on the deals and remember www.buymobilephones.net when you’re next looking for a deal.

On a more positive note, I continue to be impressed with Argos. A good friend of mine wanted a Nike heart rate watch, and had seen the very one he wanted in the catalogue. A quick surf on the website and I was able to reserve one in my local store, turn up and have the transaction completed in around five minutes. Perfect. Only hitch was that the watch - come Christmas - wasn't performing all the techy wonders it was supposed to. Argos replaced it with no questions. Now that's customer service.

No comments: