Friday 16 May 2008

China

I'm finding it difficult to come to terms with what's going on in China, with the earthquake. I have thought for many years the One Child Policy was a good thing - apart from the obvious, if you're a girl you're not really wanted - but now I'm now so sure. As much as I disagree with all of what went on in the Cultural Revolution, I feel really sad for all these families who've lost their one chance of carrying their name on. Sorry. Feel a bit down about it.
What I don't feel down about is the fact that suddenly - according to The Independent - wedding days are no longer just for the bride. As a single woman - who has never felt the urge to get married or have kids - I fear the day (if it comes) where I become a monster in wedding shops. Surely the whole thing is about the person you love and your loved ones coming and witnessing you pledge your love to that person? Is it really about cakes, favours, photos and venue? Not to mention the dress. Having said that, I have a really personal fear that I'd want a sleek Armani/Ralph Lauren outfit, but will get swept away by the rest of the people. Maybe I should get married on a mountain, or something. I spent my 30th birthday at Edinburgh Zoo so there could be a trend there.....

No comments: